This position administers the payroll and time keeping related items for a faith based University, including advising the HR leader of compliance requirements and/or processing irregularities. Primary duties involve organizing, reviewing and processing payroll, workers’ compensation annual reconciliation, related employee training in payroll time and attendance software, maintenance of payroll files, preparation of the payroll journal entry, maintain leave accruals and balances, reconciliation of payroll general ledger totals to quarterly payroll tax returns. This is a temporary full time position located in Redding, CA.
Requirements of the Payroll Specialist:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field preferred
- Minimum of three years’ experience in payroll or related field required
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) or Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software applications (e.g. Word, Excel, Access, etc.) and well as G-mail.
- Experience with institutional integrated data management software a plus
- Self-starter, attention to detail, highly motivated and well-organized
- Highly professional in integrity and demeanor
- Personal relationship with Jesus, a vibrant Christian faith, and a commitment to Christian community; capable of sharing faith and engaging in conversations about Christ.
- Demonstrate the University Values in the performance of all duties
- Maintain lifestyle in accordance with the University Lifestyle Policy in Staff Handbook
- Maintain the confidentiality of information, data and records. Properly use tact, diplomacy, discretion and judgment
- Demonstrate strong customer service skills in the performance of job duties
- Demonstrate good organizational and communication skills in the performance of job duties
- Supervises employees in accordance with the University policies and procedures (for supervisory positions)
- Support the overflow needs of other departments within the respective university area
- Perform other duties in accordance with this position as deemed necessary by the immediate supervisor
Benefits of the Payroll Specialist:
$20.00-$25.00 an hour, depending on experience
Responsibilities of the Payroll Specialist:
- Administer payroll processing to ensure proper authorization, fiscal year, adherence to University policy and government regulations, and appropriate substantiation for general ledger charges and legal reporting, including timecard review, electronic social security number verification for employees and vendors, retirement and cafeteria ACH payments and reconciliation, workers compensation, payroll tax returns reconciliation, W-2 reconciliation and distribution, charitable contributions to University reporting, grant reporting, and other deduction, tax withholding and benefit reporting as required
- Responsible for internal and external reporting on payroll, including substantiate payroll allocation to general ledger; identify payroll discrepancies and appropriateness of payroll items
- Provide individual employee training in Empower payroll and time and attendance
- Termination of employees in Payroll/timekeeping system after final pay checks are completed.
- Reconcile payroll general ledger numbers to quarterly payroll tax returns,
- Responsible for integrity of University payroll and overall compliance
- Employment verifications
- Completing unemployment and SDI claim reports with wage information
- Maintain payroll files, leave accruals and balances
O2 Employment Services is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs to perform the essential functions of the position. This job appears on the O2 Staffing job board and Simpson University job board.