Membership Development Officer
This ideal person for the position of Membership Development Officer is a high energy, polished, professional with excellent relationship building and customer service skills. The Membership Development Officer is accountable for strengthening relationships with current members, cultivating relationships with new members and increasing membership retention. Responsibilities include creating, managing and executing member retention systems, programs, and networking events for new and existing members.
The successful candidate will have 3+ years of previous customer service or sales management experience with an emphasis on retention. Experience working with volunteer committees is a plus. This position reports to the president and CEO.
- Creates membership retention systems to meet monthly and annual member retention goals.
- Nurture, develop and close leads that ultimately result in new membership
- Follow up contacts, e.g. call-ins, walk-ins and city business list
- Follow Onboarding and Touchbase Schedule to engage one to three year members
- Key contact between Chamber and its members. Seek and receive feedback from current members in order to improve their membership experience
- Provides consistent member recognition
- Implements processes to ensure ChamberMaster system is accurate, that all relevant information and ongoing communication are correctly recorded and ensures that information collected meets the needs of the Chamber and other stakeholders.
- Oversee Ribbon Cuttings, new member welcome and orientations
- Serves as Staff Liaison to the Ambassador Committee
- Creates membership strategic plan including membership campaigns to meet monthly and annual membership sales goals.
- Works with executive team to forecast renewal and advertising revenue.
- Creates advertising sales strategy to meet monthly and annual non-dues revenue sales goals.
- Works collaboratively with head of marketing and communications to create and execute member benefit strategies and to market retention programs and campaigns.
- Collectively manages the program content for all events and communications regarding new and existing member integration.
- Partners with the Chamber staff, Board of Directors, and volunteers to create a smooth transition into the Chamber for new members.
- Surveys members to ensure Chamber advocacy efforts meet the needs of membership
- Establish short and long range goals, objectives, and initiatives to achieve membership and program/event objectives in accordance with the Chamber’s Strategic Plan and yearly Business Plan.
- Identifies opportunities for sponsorships, event venues and partnership opportunities and provides info to the appropriate team.
- Tracks and reports on metrics to evaluate retention programs and recommends changes as needed.
- Actively supports and participates in Chamber programs and events.
- Maintains a professional business relationships with, but not limited to: Chamber members, Champion Sponsors, volunteers, Ambassadors, Chamber PAC, and Board of Directors.
Characteristics and Skills:
- Previous sales or retention team management experience required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong listening skills.
- Ability to create and deliver compelling presentations tailored to key audiences.
- Comfortable presenting to individuals at all levels in a business organization (small business owner to CEO).
- Flexible and open to change and new information; adapts behavior and work methods accordingly, in response to new information, conditions or obstacles; supports organizational direction throughout team.
- Leads by example and guides others toward achieving goals. Fosters team spirit and cooperation.
- Holds self and others accountable. Can be relied upon to ensure that projects are completed in a timely manner and within budget.
- Ability to adjust priorities to respond to pressing and changing member demands. Anticipates and meets the needs of members, achieves quality and is committed to continuous improvement of services.
- Takes ownership of data and understanding of metrics and what drives success. Possesses analytical skills with the ability to select relevant data and interpret business implications.
- Demonstrates thought leadership and puts innovative ideas for constant improvement into action.
- Capable of maintaining sensitive/confidential information.
- Demonstrates intermediate level capabilities in MS Office and database programs.
- Holds a four-year degree or can demonstrate equivalent job experience.
Wages: $20.00/hr plus commissions and Benefits