- Coordinates with worker’s compensation carrier on active files.
- Coordinates with liability insurance carrier on safety issues.
- Reviews new laws regarding worker’s compensation, safety standards, Cal OSHA, OSHA, labor law, housing regulations, and immigration, as they pertain to efficient, law abiding nursery operation.
- Prepare and maintain job descriptions.
- Maintain personnel files.
- Coordinate employee evaluation process.
- Updates and maintains the Employee Handbook.
- Provide or coordinate safety training to field workers on a monthly basis.
- Provide or coordinate safety training to office and shipping department workers on a quarterly basis.
- Coordinate with worker’s compensation carrier to provide appropriate safety training to all employees at the beginning of harvest and planting seasons and as appropriate.
- Act as chairperson of the safety committee.
- Investigate all accidents.
- Prepares the OSHA 300 forms.
- Prepares and files documents with the appropriate governmental agencies to conform with legal requirements.
- Maintains and reviews driving records for all employees driving company vehicles.
- Cooperates and assists inspectors review relevant company records.
- Maintains and implements company drug and alcohol testing program for commercial drivers.
- Updates and maintains company hazard communication program and related safety programs.
- Studies management/production methods in order to improve work flow, and to simplify procedures and implement cost reductions, when possible.
- Analyzes company department operating practices such as recordkeeping systems and personnel and budgetary requirements to create new systems or to revise established ones.
Other Responsibilities –
1. May purchase job related equipment or supplies.
2. Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Skills Required –
1.Bachelor’s Degree, helpful.
2.Spanish Speaker helpful
3. Two years’ experience in a safety related function in the same or similar industry.
4. Working knowledge of the agricultural industry and strawberry nursery industry in particular.
5. Proficiency with spreadsheet and word-processing programs.
6. Excellent written, verbal, analytical and interpersonal skills. Ability to speak and understand Spanish helpful.
7. Valid California Driver’s license.
Job Summary –
Directs and coordinates company activities regarding safety and personnel. Assists with insurance issues.
Essential Functions –