O2 Employment Services is partnering with a great Pathology Office local to Redding, CA in search for their next Histology Technician. This person will be responsible for preparing histologic slides from human tissue sections for microscopic examination and diagnosis by Pathologist.
- Log histology specimens into computer; label specimens and paperwork with accession number; Stamp, date, initial and place specimens on appropriate grossing in table.
- Stain and coverslip slides and distribute them to appropriate pathologist.
- Type surgical numbers for individual slides and place number with Receding Pathologist, Identification on slides.
- File slides numerically in slide drawers; label drawers and take slide drawers to shed when full
- Label all frozen section slides and DNA slides with pencil and place in appropriate solutions.
- Run DNAs per laboratory schedule.
- Make new formalin; label and fill formalin bottes.
- Answer incoming phone calls, and fax reports.
- Carry full alcohol, xylene and throwaway jugs to the storage shed and replace with empties
- Wash and dry containers and change automatic strainer solutions weekly
- Clean and change solution on the tissue processor daily
- Pull and dump tissue to discard, neutralize formalin, check h and document, clean containers and wash sink.
- Embed tissue, write down surgical number, and break out of mold and clean embedding center.
- Scrape, sweep and pull sticky pads from cutting floor
- Clean Cassette lids and processor baskets
- Set up and run special stains, make new solutions as needed
- Cut tissue on fifty five minute rotation, fin cutting special stains and bone marrow slides
- Cut slides for immunoproxidase staining
- Make solutions and perform PH testing and antibody dilutions as needed
- Perform maintenance on the immuno Histo Chemical machine
- Adhere to policies and support management decisions and goals in a positive professional manner
- Carry In new containers of alcohol, xylene, cassettes storage and forlin containers as needed
- Maintain cryostats at the hospital
- Assist in maintaining CAP and CLIA certification
- Send out supplies as requested
- Perform other duties as assigned
Physical Activities Required to Perform Essential Functions
Sitting/Mobility: Approximately 50% of time is spent working at a desk. Balance of time is approximately 50% is spent moving around work areas.
Communication: ability to effectively communicate with co-works, clients, patients and outside agencies in writing, in person and over the phone.
Vision: Ability to effectively use a computer screen and interpret printed materials, memos and other appropriate paperwork.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree and HTL certification from ASCP
Three years of experience in histology
$17-$23 per hour (depending on experience)